Many couples we work with come to us with a first dance song in mind. Maybe it has sentimental value towards their relationship. Maybe they had a great time at a Billy Joel concert and decided “Just The Way You Are” has a symbolic significance.
On the other side, we feel a responsibility as professionals to provide options when a couple can’t make up their mind. I always urge the couples we entertain to consider first dance songs that have some sort of meaning, even it’s a s simple as “We just like the song”.
For those looking for some inspiration, consider the following:
Timeless First Dance Songs
Wedding classics can’t be mistaken. These are those songs you have heard plenty of times before and always pull on the heart strings. Today’s couples request more upbeat songs throughout the duration of the wedding reception so the formal moments of a wedding, such as the First Dance, provide a great opportunity to slow things down, feel the romance, and of course honor the timeless tradition of newlyweds sharing a dance together for the first time as husband and wife.
For that reason, we think the more classic songs are always a great option.
1. Let’s Stay Together – Al Green
2. Unforgettable – Nat King Cole
3. My Girl – The Temptations
4. When A Man Loves A Woman – Percy Sledge
5. Just The Way You Are – Billy Joel
6. Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
7. At Last – Etta James
8. I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You – Elvis Presley
9. In My Life – The Beatles
10. Crazy Love – Van Morrison
Modern First Dance Songs
Out with the old and in with the new? We dig it! As an entertainment company we are constantly paying attention to Billboard charts, top hits, and songs becoming more popular at weddings. The first two on this list happen to be the most requested songs at wedding in 2015, which might be a testament of today’s couples looking to set new traditions rather than follow old ones.
With tons of incredible new slow songs, you might choose to enjoy your first dance to a more modern selection.
1. All of Me – John Legend
2. Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
3. Come Away With Me – Norah Jones
4. I Won’t Give Up – Jason Mraz
5. Make You Feel My Love – Adele
6. I’ll Be – Edwin McCain
7. I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
8. Die A Happy Man – Thomas Rhett
9. Everything – Michael Buble
10. Chasing Cars – Snow Patrol